Saturday, November 19, 2011

Senses Fail at Emo's

Tonight I went to Senses Fail's show at Emo's with my boyfriend. Opening for Senses Fail were Thieves, The Story so Far, Make Do and Mend, and Stick to Your Guns. All in all, not really my scene. Just a touch too hardcore for my tastes, but I went with it. It was my boyfriend's birthday present and I just wanted him to have a good time.

Thieves was actually really good. A local band from here in Austin. They all seemed fairly young, but incredibly talented. I'll have to look into them.

After the Make Do and Mend set I shouted at James and asked if I could have one of his guitar picks, so he handed me an unused one off of his mic stand. Not ever having heard of Make Do and Mend before this tour, I decided to give it to a kid there who seemed to really love the band. Karma is an awesome thing, my friends. After Stick to Your Guns played and they were setting the stage for Senses Fail, I spotted the pick that James had actually been using and dropped. It fell on the stage and had been pushed to the edge when the crew was moving around monitors. Freaking awesome turn of luck. An Emo's employee walked by not long after I spotted it; I asked him to hand it to me. He gave me a slightly weird look then gave it to me. So I got the pick that James had used to play his set. It was pretty awesome. The dunlop logo is all smudged from where he held it. Pick number two in my new collection.

This wasn't the only cool thing we left with that night. My boyfriend was able to get the Senses Fail set list, and we also got a free CD from one of my acquaintance's. He goes to school with me and was pimping out his band's CDs. They're actually fairly good so if you get a chance, look them up. Junes Not Faking is their name. They'll be playing in San Antonio mid-December if you like them. I'd love to go but would never see myself spending all that gas money.

It's four in the morning here and I am scheduled to work an eight and a half hour shift tomorrow. Have to hit the gym before that so it's off to sleep I go.

Had a great night. I will always love live music.

Pictures of our goodies:




No comments:

Post a Comment